Notes on Popular Culture: So Long, Billy Goat

Posted by Michael Borshuk On 8:49 AM

Adam Yauch (5 August 1964 - 4 May 2012)


It's been a month now since Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys died, felled by cancer at the tragically young age of 47.  While the media panegyrics have quieted over the past four weeks, I find myself still grieving the loss of MCA (certainly more than I expected to) and listening to his music in fairly frequent rotation on my iPod.  Like all grief for celebrity deaths, my melancholy here is, of course, merely a vehicle for self-reflection (or is it only self-indulgence?), since Yauch was a celebrity whose career I witnessed in its entirety.  He was less than a decade older than me.  His death is a reminder of my mortality, and a sign that my generation is creeping deeper into the perilous terrain of middle age.

But, aesthetically, Yauch and his comrades Adam Horovitz and Mike Diamond were key to my development as a music fan.  Manic, comic, and cool, The Beastie Boys were ambassadors to skeptical white kids like me who were slow to catch on to hip-hop's pleasures and its artistic potential.

Yes, full disclosure: despite having a lifelong love of African American musical forms, I confess that as a youngster in the early 80s, I didn't care much for hip-hop, or "rap music," as I remember calling it back then.  Part of this was biographical influence, no doubt.  I am a musician's kid.  My father made his living playing the piano for live audiences.  To embrace a musical form that turned on people "talking" over existing records might have seemed a betrayal, and due cause for familial excommunication.  Even if I'd had the moxie to rebel and listen to the music on the sly (Lord knows it was omnipresent on the radio stations that boomed across the river from Detroit), I just couldn't get into it stylistically.  It wasn't tuneful enough. Stripped down to words and rhythm, it didn't sound enough like, well, music to me.  While I liked the occasional "rap" tune (like, say, Run DMC's famous collab with Aerosmith), for the most part, the new music, despite being popular with my friends, didn't do much for me.

The Beastie Boys, I admit, changed those feelings.

Not at first, though.  In fact, while I was lukewarm about hip-hop initially, I outright loathed the Beasties when I first heard them.  Licensed to Ill was an affront to everything I cared about as an adolescent: culture,  courteousness, refinement. (I worshiped the Beatles' more ambitious efforts back then, and spent my summers reading George Orwell and Joyce Carol Oates.)  I associated The Beastie Boys with the louts in my homeroom at school--idiot jocks and soon-to-be burnouts who thought it was slick to be obnoxious.  (Like them, I didn't pick up on the Beasties' capacity for self-parody and their intentionally carnivalesque tone.)

In 1989, a week after its release, the Beasties' epic second LP Paul's Boutique came into my life, via my best friend, who insisted I have a listen.  Sitting in his garage on a summer evening, we listened to the entire album, start to finish, on cassette, on a boombox, interrupting the BBs only occasionally to interject our approval or wonder in monosyllabic remarks.  I immediately asked him for a cassette dub of the album and listened to it obsessively for weeks and weeks afterward.  In short, Paul's Boutique blew me away and made me an appreciative hip-hop fan.  I loved its range of reference, its lyrical dexterity, its antic energy. All at once, I saw what I'd been missing: the significance of flow and playful rhyme; the potential that sampling possessed.

Now, in some ways, though it's honest to admit, I'm sad to be such a cliche.  (Sure, whiteboy, it took a trio of whiteboys to hip you to the most important paradigm shift in popular music during your lifetime.)  But I suppose Rick Rubin knew there were listeners like me when he put the Beasties on record for Def Jam and I'm not sad for what followed in my music fandom from there.  That is, I got in board just in time to enjoy what I still think is one of the most fruitful and wonderful periods in hip-hop history, in the late 80s and early 90s.  Paul's Boutique helped me get my head right so I could enjoy LL Cool J, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Jungle Brothers, and the group that remains my all-time favorite hip-hop ensemble, Public Enemy.  Moreover, the Beasties' constant affectionate tributes to early (by which I mean 1970s) hip-hop in tracks like "Shadrach," "Sure Shot," and "3 MCs and 1 DJ" sent me back historically to earlier acts I'd missed as a kid: Spoonie Gee, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Funky Four Plus One...

Beyond his music, Yauch was admirable for so much more.  For his support of independent artists.  For his support of peaceful activism in world conflicts.  For having the maturity to renounce the offensive material he'd recorded in his youth, like the loutish sexism that initially turned me off the Beastie Boys.

I am grateful for his legacy, for the way he opened my musical tastes when they were otherwise much too closed.  To this day, I cannot think of his stage name, MCA, without delighting in one of my favorite playful exchanges from the uptempo party jam, "Shake Your Rump" on Paul's Boutique: "Arrested at the Mardi Gras for jumping on the float / My man MCA's got a beard like a billy goat."

So long, then, Billy Goat.  And thanks for so much.


1 Response to 'Notes on Popular Culture: So Long, Billy Goat'

  1. Kat Dander said...
    http://michaelborshuk.blogspot.com/2012/06/notes-on-popular-culture-so-long-billy.html?showComment=1343986889114#c3956500347870333467'> 2:41 AM

    Cookie Puss, you clearly have your reservations regarding early Beastie Boys' subject matter, but here's one from the vault.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iZp5_gfhr4&feature=player_embedded

     

About Me

My photo
MICHAEL BORSHUK is Associate Professor of African American Literature at Texas Tech University. He is the author of SWINGING THE VERNACULAR: JAZZ AND AFRICAN AMERICAN MODERNIST LITERATURE (Routledge, 2006), and numerous essays, reviews, and encyclopedia entries on African American literature, American modernism, and music.

Currently Reading

Michael is currently reading...



More of Michael's books »
Michael Borshuk's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

What I've Been Watching

What I've Been Watching
Check out my Letterboxd profile to see what I've been watching.

Categories:

a bout de souffle (1) adam bradley (1) adam yauch (1) advertising (1) albert camus (1) alex rodriguez (1) alfred tennyson (1) american literature (2) amiri baraka (1) amy lowell (1) andrew hacker (1) anne sexton (1) annie ross (1) annoyances (1) arithmetic (1) art (2) barack obama (1) bargain vinyl (1) barney kessel (1) bart giamatti (1) baseball (11) batman (1) beastie boys (1) ben shahn (1) bill berkson (1) billy collins (1) blue note records (1) bob dylan (1) bob hoskins (1) bob rafaelson (1) bob seger (1) books (1) breathless (1) bruce dern (1) bruce springsteen (1) bruce wayne (1) cannonball adderley (1) captain haddock (1) carroll john daly (1) cd reviews (1) charles baudelaire (1) charlie parker (1) clarence beeks (1) claudia dreifus (1) clint eastwood (1) computers (1) culture club (1) dalai lama (1) denzel washington (1) design (4) detroit tigers (7) django unchained (1) documentary (1) dogs (1) don delillo (1) donald fagen (1) donald hall (1) dr. john (1) dr. wu (1) duke ellington (1) edgar allan poe (1) education (2) ee cummings (1) elizabeth bishop (1) elliott randall (1) elvis costello (1) emily dickinson (1) ernest lawrence thayer (1) esquire magazine (1) fiction (3) film (8) fiona apple (1) francis ford coppola (1) frank o'hara (1) fyodor dostoevsky (1) george lois (1) georgia douglas johnson (1) gnarls barkley (1) grandmaster flash (2) helen mirren (1) hip hop (3) international jazz day (1) j peterman (1) jack nicholson (1) jacques tati (1) james carter (1) jazz (10) jean-luc godard (1) jean-michel basquiat (1) jean-paul belmondo (1) jesse jackson (1) jimi hendrix (1) joe cocker (1) john carlos (1) john coltrane (1) john ditsky (1) john hartigan (1) john keats (2) john lennon (1) john updike (1) justin verlander (1) ken burns (1) king of marvin gardens (1) king pleasure (1) lebron james (1) literature (38) loic rohmer (1) loic romer (1) lord byron (1) lubbock (1) marc bolan (1) mark williams (1) michael mcdonald (1) michael ondaatje (1) michael s. harper (1) michelangelo antonioni (1) miguel cabrera (1) miles davis (2) mina loy (1) mo' better blues (1) movie posters (1) muhammad ali (2) mvp (1) national poetry month (30) netflix (3) new jazz archive (1) new york yankees (1) newt gingrich (1) night moves (1) otto preminger (1) p.k. page (1) pantheon (17) paul blackburn (1) paul mccartney (1) paul simon (1) personal (32) philip levine (1) pierce brosnan (1) pipe smokers (6) podcast (1) poetry (35) politics (7) popular music (24) prince (1) public enemy (1) public radio (1) quentin tarantino (1) quotations (21) rabbit is rich (1) race (4) radiant child (1) ralph ellison (2) ray charles (1) raymond chandler (1) reading (1) reid miles (1) richard wilbur (1) richard wright (1) rick santorum (2) robert hass (1) robert lowell (1) robert moskowitz (1) robert oppenheimer (1) russell edson (1) sanjoy mahajan (1) saul bass (3) simon and garfunkel (1) sly and the family stone (1) smokey robinson (1) sonny rollins (2) soundtrack (12) sparky anderson (1) spike lee (2) st. paul (1) stanislaw lem (1) steely dan (13) stuart hall (1) stuff i want (1) suso cecchi d'amico (1) swinging the vernacular (1) t.rex (1) t.s. eliot (1) talking heads (1) teaching (2) terrance hayes (1) texas tech (3) the bad plus (1) the beach boys (1) the beatles (1) the bee gees (1) the bird and the bee (1) the doobie brothers (1) the meters (1) the new yorker (1) thelonious monk (2) theodore roethke (1) things i will never do (1) tintin (1) traffic (1) vampire weekend (1) vladimir nabokov (1) whimsies (47) white noise (1) william carlos williams (1) william stafford (1) windsor (1) wish list (4) woody allen (1) writing (5) wynton marsalis (1) yusef komunyakaa (2)